I blog for the hell of it.


Friday, August 5, 2011

One-Sentence Journal

I've been reading a little about Gretchen Rubin and her Happiness Project. It seems to be all over the 'net lately -- well, the parts I hang out in, anyway. Gretchen is probably just a tad more (ahem!) shall we say enthusiastic than I am. Anything called "happiness project" is something the Old Broad would ordinarily run from, like a bat outta you-know-where.

But one part of the program has caught my attention: the one-sentence journal. The idea is to write at least one sentence (or just a few -- as Gretchen says, "by calling it a 'one sentence journal' I keep my expectations realistic") every day, to form a record of the life I live. Not a lot of detail or rumination. Just one or two basic thoughts or events for each day. I think I could get into that.

Now, I should admit from the start that I'm something of a diary/journal/planner fanatic. I've kept a journal or diary in one form or another, since I was old enough to write in one. For quite a few years, I kept a computer diary -- much easier on the fingers; it allowed me to write as much as I wanted without any hindrance from my arthritis. It also has the added convenience of being searchable, and provides a much greater degree of security than the hand-written variety.

Lately, though, I've gone back to keeping my daily diary by hand, and just using my computer journal as a sort of random-musings-private-thoughts repository.

OK, all this is really beside the point. The point being that I think the one-sentence journal might be a very good addition to this blog. I started OBOP to function as a kind of online journal, anyway; but I've largely neglected it. And the daily-entry format would be very good discipline for someone like myself who tends to go on and on and on and on and....Well, you see what I mean.

So I'm thinking maybe I'll try it out. After all, how boring can just a couple of sentences be? (Don't answer that.)

Well, we'll see about that. Here's my first entry.

5 August 2011 / Friday
First day back from the beach -- lots of unpacking and laundry. Also catching up with blog-reading, after being almost completely computer-free for nearly a week! I'm already missing the ocean.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my blog! And thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors. From time to time, though, I might have to moderate comments. I know that's not very hospitable, so I try to do it only for posts that are more than a week old.