I blog for the hell of it.


Friday, March 5, 2010

030510: First Friday in March

All I can say is Wow!!! When I went to my LibraryThing account this morning, I had a notice that I've "snagged" a book in the February edition of the Early Reviewers Program. It's been a year since I was smiled upon by the almighty algorithm – a very long dry spell. So I was thrilled and amazed, since I had pretty much given up hope of ever getting another book, given the enormous number of requesters the program has these days. When I first signed up, there were only a few hundred of us, and the chances for getting an early reviewer book in any one month were relatively good. No longer the case. But at least I'm happy for the moment. Now, if the publisher actually sends the book, I'll be even happier. [Update: book received, read, and reviewed. See The Brontes Went to Woolworths.]

Today was a medical day for M and me. Nothing major – we just had our annual eye exams. But anything that involves doctors or dentists (or even pharmacists) always gives me the shakes. And last year, we managed to keep putting our vision checkups off until they slid into this year; so it had been almost two years since our last exams. And now that M has been diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes, I do worry about his eyes a little more than I would have in the past. The optometrist dilated his eyes this time, and even though I know that's fairly routine, it was still nervous-making (for me). It sounds so serious (and slightly painful – guess you can tell I've never had it done myself). But everything was OK; no developments to be concerned about (although the doc did admonish me a bit about having the checkup on a yearly basis). M decided not to get new glasses, since his prescription is almost exactly the same, and he loves the glasses he's got now (well, everybody does – they're great glasses). I'm getting new lenses, but keeping the frames I already have since I like those, too. So after plunking down a fast five hundred bucks, we were good to go. Came home, had a light lunch, and then napped most of the afternoon. Old folks need their rest, you know.

And speaking of old folks, I was a little appalled at the way I looked in the mirrors at the optometrist's office. Who was that elderly woman? See, kiddies - the really weird thing about getting old is that nobody really knows how to do it or what to expect. Even though you've watched others go through it, you're not prepared when you get there yourself because hey, you've always been young! Old sort of sneaks up on you when you're not paying attention, and grabs hold before you know what's going on. Surprise! So it's quite a shock to glance into the mirror one day and find this pathetic crone staring back.

Just wait. Life is cruel. If you survive young adulthood and parenthood and middle age and all the other atrocities laying in wait, you'll get here, too. And then you'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my blog! And thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors. From time to time, though, I might have to moderate comments. I know that's not very hospitable, so I try to do it only for posts that are more than a week old.